Software monitoring and log analysis involve reviewing event logs to identify bugs and other cyber risks and to ensure regulatory compliance. These services can also help organizations review the behavior of end users. An event log captures activity within software applications, operating systems, and devices and automatically documents file requests, transfers, log-ins and log-outs, messages, error reports, and other information specified by system administrators. In addition, the event log activity is timestamped, which helps establish a trail for an audit when a data breach, system failure, or another event occurs.
Log analysis could help organizations ensure regulatory compliance with laws that govern how data should be stored and analyzed. It can also provide multiple benefits for an organization, including the following:
- Enhanced troubleshooting by identifying errors and events within the log quickly and pinpointing issues before they happen
- Improved cybersecurity capabilities to identify and contain potential threats and increase response times
- Better customer experience by improving consistency and security while minimizing downtime
Security companies perform software monitoring and log analysis using security solutions that gather and store data from event logs and provide security professionals with a single access point. The logs are typically searchable so that decisions about security, allocation of resources, and the overall health of the network can be made quickly.
The activities performed by a managed services provider might include the following:
- Installation of log collectors to gather data from multiple sources across the organization’s IT infrastructure
- Aggregation of the data at a single location to simplify the process and increase the speed of the analysis
- Comprehensive analysis conducted by leveraging human resources and log analytics to assess known errors, anomalies, and suspicious activity
- Continual monitoring and the issuance of alerts when attention or intervention is needed
- Reporting of events